Congressman Sires Supports President Biden’s Day One Policy Actions on Immigration
(Washington, D.C.) – Today, Congressman Albio Sires (D-NJ) released the following statement applauding President Biden’s plan to reform our immigration system, including the series of executive actions taken on his first day in office:
“President Biden’s swift actions to correct the failed immigration policies of the previous administration are a needed and welcomed step toward reforming our broken immigration system,” said Congressman Sires.
“On his first day in office, President Biden demonstrated his commitment to pursuing a humane, safe, and orderly immigration policy. I applaud President Biden for these immediate actions, including ending the Muslim ban, halting construction of Trump’s border wall, suspending the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), restarting our country’s refugee settlement program, fortifying the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, and much more. These steps aren’t just the morally decent course of action, but they also advance U.S. economic and national security interests.
“The previous administration’s immigration policies were not only discriminatory, but they didn’t work. President Trump tried to physically prevent migration to the U.S. by employing ill-conceived tactics that were repeatedly struck down as illegal by U.S. courts. These policies demonized and endangered immigrants without making any progress to address the push factors driving migration from Central America to the U.S. The surge we are starting to see forming in the Northern Triangle now is the unfortunate byproduct of the Trump Administration’s myopia and incompetence.
“Congress must move swiftly to enact President Biden’s immigration proposals and to help implement his plan to build prosperity and security in Central America. I am ready to work with my colleagues in the 117th Congress to advance these long-awaited reforms.”
The entire list of President Biden’s executive actions on immigration are below:
- Proclamation on Ending Discriminatory Bans on Entry to The United States
- Executive Order on the Revision of Civil Immigration Enforcement Policies and Priorities
- Executive Order on Ensuring a Lawful and Accurate Enumeration and Apportionment Pursuant to the Decennial Census
- Proclamation on the Termination Of Emergency With Respect To The Southern Border Of The United States And Redirection Of Funds Diverted To Border Wall Construction
- Reinstating Deferred Enforced Departure for Liberians
- Preserving and Fortifying Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)