Congressman Albio Sires Votes In Favor of The American Rescue Plan
(Washington, D.C.) – Last night, Congressman Albio Sires (D-NJ) voted in favor of H.R. 1319, the American Rescue Plan Act, a comprehensive COVID-19 relief bill that includes funding to expedite the vaccine rollout, send economic impact payments to Americans, safely reopen our schools, and assist individuals receiving unemployment payments. H.R. 1319 passed the House by a vote of 219-212.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has taken so many from us, sickened millions more, and devastated our local economies as well,” said Rep Sires. “The American Rescue Plan is a far-reaching relief bill that will bring much-needed resources to residents of the 8th District and across the country. Hard-working Americans who are struggling because of this pandemic can not wait any longer for this crucial relief. With over half a million Americans lives lost to this virus, and millions more struggling economically, the American Rescue Plan will lay out a bold roadmap of the road to recovery so we can get our people and economy moving again.”
The American Rescue Plan includes many relief measures to fight the COVID-19 virus and provide critical relief to the American people by providing:
- Billions of dollars in funding to increase testing and contact tracing.
- Authorization to mount a national vaccination program that includes setting up vaccination sites in every community across the country.
- Economic impact payments of $1,400 for individuals.
- Funding to extend unemployment benefits for those that have lost their jobs due to COVID-19.
- $130 billion in funding for schools to use to safely reopen their classrooms for our students.
- Funding to support small businesses, the backbone of our main streets.
- Billions of dollars in funding for housing assistance, nutrition assistance, childcare, expanding access to affordable healthcare, and expanding tax credits to help families that are struggling.