Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

9/5/2008- Jersey City, NJ Receives Community Oriented Policing Award to Hire New Officer

Sep 5, 2008
Press Release
Jersey City, NJ – Today, Congressman Sires announced that the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) awarded Jersey City, NJ with a grant of $75,000 today to fund the hiring of one new police officer in the community...

For immediate release                                                               Contact: Erica Daughtrey

September 5, 2008                                                                             (201) 222-2828

 

Jersey City, NJ – Today, Congressman Sires announced that the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) awarded Jersey City, NJ with a grant of $75,000 today to fund the hiring of one new police officer in the community.  Nationwide, the COPS program provided nearly $20 million in awards under the COPS Universal Hiring Program.   The COPS Universal Hiring Program award provides Jersey City with 75 percent of the total salary and benefits necessary to hire a new officer for three years.  In return, Jersey City will pay the remaining 25 percent, and the city agrees to retain the COPS position for at least one year beyond the funding period.   “As a strong supporter of COPS, I believe these grants are an excellent way to increase policing capacity and make our communities safer,” said Congressman Sires. “I am extremely pleased that the Department of Justice has recognized the needs of Jersey City with this award.”  

###