Several internationally recognizable landmarks reside in the 8th District. The Statue of Liberty, seen from Liberty State Park in Jersey City, is one of the district's most striking features, standing near Ellis Island where millions of immigrants first came to America in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. The Port Newark-Elizabeth is another notable landmark in the district, as it is the busiest and leading container port in the Northeast. Newark International Airport, also located in the district, is an economic pillar of the area.
One of the most prolific cities of the district is Jersey City that is experiencing exponential financial and developmental growth every year. Other municipalities in Hudson County that are in the 8th District include Hoboken, West New York, Guttenberg, Weehawken, Harrison, East Newark, Bayonne, North Bergen and Kearny. Congressman Sires also represents Belleville and parts of Newark in Essex County, Elizabeth in Union County, and Fairview in Bergen County.
If you are interested in browsing district-specific population statistics, you can look up Census data for the 8th District.
8th District Counties
8th District Cities
Direct Assistance for the 8th District
While I am proud of the work that I have accomplished on issues at a national level, I am particularly pleased with the direct assistance that I have been able to provide to my constituents in the 8th District. For example, the District has received funding through the following programs:
- Administered by The Department of Housing and Urban Development:
- Community Development Block Grant Program
- Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program
- Housing Choice Voucher Family Self-Sufficiency (HCV FSS)
- Resident Opportunity and Self-Sufficiency (ROSS) - Service Coordinators Program
- The HOME Investments Partnerships Program
- Housing Choice Vouchers Program and the Continuum of Care Homeless Assistance (CoC)
- The Bureau of Justice Assistance Programs and the Community Oriented Policing Services Programs administered by the Department of Justice
- The Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program and University Programs administered by the Department of Homeland Security
- The Research, Development, Test and Evaluation Programs administered by the Department of Defense